let us eat

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Slow Living 2012 - April (and a bit of March)

Well!! I missed last month. I really truly meant to write up something of what we'd achieved in March but March passed by and April began and then I ran out of puff. The title of this post is a bit misleading though - everything in my life seems to have speeded up and I am running along behind trying to keep pace! You'd think that Autumn would be a time for slowing down but not yet, not yet, and I'm barely getting round to all the things that need doing. Mind you, I have been feeling just a tad morose and that really doesn't allow for much in the way of creativity or inspiration. I am hoping that the merry month of May will banish all doom and gloom from my little bubble.... and I shall try very diligently not to dwell on the shortening of the days! But secretly, I'm hanging out for Winter Solstice because after that  it's all an uphill run again! 

So here's the report, with bits of March thrown in just to look like I've been real good (I'm not telling which bits though)

Nourish - I've been a bit slack with the whole nourish thing in recent times. The garden has slowed down on the production side although we've still been eating spinach, the last of the beans, tomatoes - because we covered them, carrots, radish and plenty of potatoes. Ooooh, I am so happy about the potato harvest. It's just the best feeling not buying potatoes but simply going to the shed and pulling out a box to find lovely fresh spuds for dinner. Umm, we've been eating a lot of potato meals...


Prepare - We have quite a few roadside apple trees in our area so I've made lots of apple sauce from scrumped apples. Great word that, isn't it? I've not been gleaning the apples, rather we've been scrumping apples. Gleaning is reserved for going over the wheat field after the harvesters have been through and picking up any fallen heads of wheat or barley. Scrumping is a delightful British word thats really not used much outside of the UK...... I think I might revive it!
Anyway, sorry, back to the food...... I also made River Cottage Chutney courtesy of good old Hugh, using up a large old zucchini and green tomatoes; and my yearly batch of tomato chutney.


Reduce - Mended a couple of fitted sheets that really could have been used as rags, repurposed a nice chenille skirt into a hot water bottle cover and used up a whole lot of baling twine for a compost heap. 

Green - I've started using plain coconut oil for a facial moisturiser again. It works well for a few days but then I like to use a healthy bought one for a day. Since reading Lindas post about energy saving, we have been diligently switching of all appliances at the power points. I'm hoping for a saving when the next bill comes in.
The Best Man is debating the pro's and con's of solar v's wood heated hot water. 

Grow - March and April haven't seen me in the garden much, other than to pick food, though that was remedied last Sunday with a family effort. I have planted cabbage, parsley and kale and there seems to be a lot of self sown kale and lettuce happening round and about.


Create - This month there's been a dearth of creativity but I managed a beanie for my lover and another one for the little Elf. Though I think both those were in March...oh well! 

Discover - I read half of Animal Vegetable Miracle but couldn't really get into it. The latest Earth Garden magazine was really good though ;o) and I have been doing a lot of reading of the Steiner syllabus I bought from Christopherus - not really green but necessary!  

Enhance - We had a stall at the Penguin Sustainable Day in late March and the children sold bundles of envelopes - I hope that perhaps some of the people that bought them were inspired to have a go at making their own! 



Enjoy - Can I just have a brief whine first? Please? I do not enjoy the winding down of the Wheel of the Year. There, now you know. I can't wait for the return of the Sun, which means that I've found the enjoyment a little lacking. But, I have had some delightful times this month with my very close friend who really, really makes a difference in my life. And I did give the new grandchild quite a few hugs and squeezes this month - does that count? even though it's ongoing?

I'm off to see what others have been up to......... if you want a peek too, pop over to visit Christine at Slow Living Essentials - it's worth a look! 

15 comments:

  1. Great photos! I'm trying to find ways to embrace the cold season this year... crafting, soups, scarves, reading, and setting up a cozy room on the warm side of the house! I am right into coconut oil at the moment and was thinking of applying it directly to my eczema, but hmm, facial moisturiser, must try that too. Probably good for my rosacea!

    Lovely reading your Slow Living journal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Everything looks delicious and fresh.

    I just finished Animal Vegetable Miracle, and quite enjoyed it. Maybe because I have such a long way to go yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, specially the babe.

    We have solar and wood hot water, solar in the summer and wet back heater in the winter. It works really well, except for the shoulder times when we have a run of cloudy days but it's not really cold enough for the fire. Then I have to resort to electric boost for a few hours.

    We actually used to have one of your heaters, but when it needed replacing we went for something that we could heat the water with and cook on and in too. As a heater though, yours was better.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's just nothing like fresh homegrown potatoes, is there? I'm sad to say we've run out for the year as we ate so many when we first harvested them. Will definitely plant a bigger crop this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to really dislike winter, and was told by a friend to find something that you like about it. Like knitting and fires. So I put in a fire and started knitting. That was quite a few years ago now and I must say it worked for me. I love that my evenings come quicker which means my busy days are shorter but I have more time to knit as evenings are the only time I have to do so. Our summers have been so hot lately ( except the one just gone) that I actually dread them now.I also missed slow living for March and dragging the chain for April as well. I think it has to do with Autumn. Although I love this season It does start to draw one in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scrumping! I love this term Evi..and may just adopt it. ;)

    Are you planning a celebration for the solstice? It's only a few more weeks away and then the days will start getting longer..whoop! I do agree with Kate though..winter = more time in the evenings for crafting indulgences and the like.

    Such fun to have you joining in again this month! Enjoy those snuggly little cuddles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Evi

    Love your blog - you left me a comment on my blog earlier but it seems to have gone missing and hasn't saved on the site - if you want to send it again I will try again to publish it :) Sue x

    http://sweetpeafamilyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that there's a special word just for acquiring apples. :-)

    I am planning to plant potatoes for the first time this year.

    Regarding hints for enjoying the cold season: I love pulling out my cozy wool sweaters, knitting, that the days are a little less busy and having time to cozy up with Hubba in the evenings for a movie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum I love home grown potatoes. Sadly I have not had much luck with coconut oil as a moisturiser - just makes be break out.

    I'm not a huge fan of winter (read the cold). I sit here typing this and its pouring with rain, 8 degrees, with a beanie on my head..inside!! LOL But I agree with other posters find something you like - I love to cook, eat soup, read snuggled under blankets.

    I cant wait for Winter Solstice as our community has a big lantern parade which we attend every year!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all your beautiful photos! It's okay Evi, I hate winter too ....I just can't bear to be cold .
    On the upside though i love our fire. I would be interested to know your best mans's view on wood fire versus solar water heating. I am at the moment wishing I had hooked our fire to a hot water system when we put it in , as I am beginning to think solar is a bit over rated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for stopping by at my blog :) love your photos and the baby is just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh look at that sweet little babe! Too cute.
    I'm loving the sounds of scrumping, that's a word that definitely needs a little revival.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hugs with grandchildren ALWAYS count Evi! ღ

    ReplyDelete
  14. my children and I love the word scrumping..lovely photos and what a gorgeous , special snuggle with the wee bub :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Evi! I imagine that Winter makes you appreciate the summer when it finally coems around again?? Beautiful pictures! Sweet little one! And Solstice almost here... Life is looking good! - Kara

    ReplyDelete

Oh yes please, do leave a comment! I will admit I don't always answer, although I do mean to, but I always read them and love to hear what you say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...