let us eat

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

thoughts on mothering

I've been thinking a lot about Mothers Day since Sunday.  
Like Kate, I didn't have all the clan here this year. Two of them are a little further away - one building up his business in Melbourne and the other all the way up in Walgett NSW working on a wheat farm. But the rest of our children were here to help eat, drink and be merry, including my 'adopted' son..... a family friend, who slotted in amongst them all a long time ago and has a little piece of my heart, too! 


When we had lots of little ones, there were hand made cards and home made gifts as well as the occasional purchased gift instigated by the Best Man. And always tea and toast in bed with babies and toddlers snuggling close and begging bites. But somehow as my children have gotten older, my expectations of Mothers Day have risen and sadly, haven't always lived up to my grand expectations. It should be all about ME.... shouldn't it? And everyone should worship at my feet for all the things I do for them all year, yes? 


Well, this year I decided to gratefully appreciate the day how ever it came and to accept the flow no matter what. This was the first year that not all the children were here and it did make me a little sad to think that from now on there will likely be one or more, missing. I accept that too though I guess it will get easier as time goes on. 


Later in the day I read Tanya's post (and sweet words in my comments) and I realised why I had been missing the essence of Mothers Day........ because it's not about me as a mother and everyone being grateful for my mothering. No, it's about me being grateful for the opportunity to be a mother.

I feel privileged that seven little souls chose me to nurture and guide them on their journey here on Mother Earth. 
I am amazed at what awesome young people they are becoming, while at the same time I'm not really sure how much of that I can take credit for. 
I am grateful that they show me respect and love in so many little ways, all year.
I am honoured to be able to call myself Mother.


I think that in this emerging season of mothering - this-growing-up-and-moving-on-of-children season - I'll be taking a whole new approach to Mothers Day. I won't be needing a morning of pampering in bed to make up for sleepless nights and fussy babies but I will be completely engaging in a day of joy - just being in the moment - with which ever of my children are able to spend the day with me.
I also think I'll be having a nicer Mama Day than I have had for a long time!

I was also very happy to celebrate as a new Oma ....... but it sure was strange to wish my dear daughter a Happy Mothers Day!!! 

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for putting my momma feelings into words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! Is it the planets or is something in the wind???I have just been over at Small Things and I think we are all drinking the same water and finding epiphanies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too Tanya - checked out Small Things just after I posted this and wondered what elements were all in alignment last weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautifully put. I had such similar thoughts but I am not so articulate. We are so blessed to have been able to mother such wonderful children, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a truer word has ever been uttered in regard to mothering. My kids have been gone for over 20 years and I believe the way they have made it successfully in the world is through the learning they did at their mother's knee (mine). Yay! I am proud of my achievements in rearing strong, independent women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the photos!! that bub is just too cute!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Dearest Mama! So nice to be finally reading about all the family adventures and seeing the pics, even though I am there for many of them! Isn't my girl adorable?!! It was rather strage entering into the new world of Mother's Day and I love your thoughts on this, I shall carry that with me through the many more years of mothering ahead of me! You inspire me. I love you
    Golden Girl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like everyone else here I thank you for articulating my own thoughts this year! We had a perfect day cooking and baking together, sharing a bath and stories and enjoying our home. The Munchkin and MR HMH handmade me a card, and the washing up was done without me which were added acts of love that were greatly appreciated but for the first time I saw it as a day to feel gratitude for being blessed with motherhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello My wonderful Ev
    Thinking of you... a lot.
    A beautiful take on Mother's Day!!!
    Love You Joh

    ReplyDelete
  10. That baby is soooooo cute!
    Mothers day isnt always an easy day... different expectations and pressures all round so I love your "go with the flow" theme! Well put! - Kara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Evi
    I started having these thoughts quite a while ago, when all my chicks flew the nest. But as my parents became parents it took on a whole new meaning. You could see the fruits of your labor and their hard work. Happy Mothers day Oma.
    Love and prayers,,,,,Ruthie Collins

    ReplyDelete

Oh yes please, do leave a comment! I will admit I don't always answer, although I do mean to, but I always read them and love to hear what you say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...