To the many friends that stopped by in my last post and offered me some encouraging words and ideas for winter serenity - thankyou!
I am touched by your caring words and amazed once again by this blogging community - from all over the place, people I have never met are happy to spend a few minutes of precious time to write me a few words of wisdom. Beautiful.
I've been meaning to write a post about our little home for some time, but have been a bit embarrassed to post pics of this tiny cluttered space....... although the clutter might a be a bit more understandable when I tell you how small it actually is! I'm not posting about our home to elicit sympathy (well, maybe just a little!) but rather to share a bit about our circumstances and how we live.
Okay, so here are the specs.......... your lounge/dining area is possibly as big as my entire house - 6 metres x 8 metres! Yep, thats right, we sleep 6 people in here, as well as eat, learn and play. Oh and for me, wash, cook and clean and sometimes create a little bit!!
This is how it looked when we bought it......cute and muraled! That little add-on is the bathroom. We added a new room in the corner spot in the foreground.
This one's a year and a half later. Thats the new room with the diamond paned window and you can see the existing bathroom under the new roof line. It will be removed and a bigger bathroom put in there. At the moment it still looks like this.
We bought here for a couple of reasons and are intending to extend, but somehow the extension just seems to get put off in favour of other things. Life is busy. The extension will be on the right hand side of the pic above; a duplicate of the existing house.
This bright and funky place is the living area. We have a table, bench and chairs for eating and schooling and sometimes a couple of lounge chairs, depending on the season! The front door is right there on the left - where the heavy artillery is pointing - and stairs go up to the tiny loft which is my bedroom/creative space, and on the right is the door to the kitchen/walkway.
Sorry, this is a bit dark and messy! My space - mattress on the left - wall to wall - and sewing machine under the cover on the desk. All the rest is Stuff! It's about 3m x 2m in size.
The latest fashions are being modelled here in front of the barrel heater and this also shows the opening through to the kitchen. If I remember correctly I was out that day and the children had a lovely time dressing up and watching videos!
This one is looking from the stairs towards the kids bedroom - two double bunks on either side and when Miss 18 was here we had a trundle bed as well. This room is that new one that I mentioned in the first photo.
And here we have the kitchen which doubles as a walkway to the laundry/bathroom. It's about 1.7 metres wide and what you see here is all the bench space there is. We must have been having a very carroty dinner that day ;o)
As I am writing this and searching the archives for photos, I have come to two interesting conclusions. One - all of these spaces double up as dual purpose spaces, and two - while looking through the pics I noticed that we have a lot of large (for this house) parties considering that it's always a bit of a squeeze!!
Christmas 2010
Easter 2011
Easter 2012
Winter Solstice 2011
Right, so there it is...... one teeny, tiny house and sometimes, one very squashed mama!
Your thoughts were very much appreciated and I am sorry I didn't get to reply to any in my last post. I'm hearing you all on 'trying to embrace the cold' and I certainly agree, even if the sunny months are my preference! So, on that note, I have come to a realisation that I can do something to alleviate the feelings of dullness and gloom that threaten to over whelm me when we are all squeezed together on a cold and windy day!!
Collectively, you sowed a seed that brought forth an idea that I will be putting into practise. I really need to reclaim peace and tranquillity, so firstly some of the shelving and general clutter will be moving out into the new loft in the shed. This will mean that we need to go outside if we want to find any books, sewing things or toys but it will also mean that it is 'cleaner' inside.
And we'll be painting the inside white!! Now this is a big occasion because I am not a white person. I like colour, strong colour and bold walls. In this case I am liking white though! (the woody walls are the originals) I'm hoping that white will allow me to take clearer photo's of any indoor bits that we do over winter. I am also writing out a list of affirmations......... they'll be just above me, on the ceiling, so that they're the first thing I see when I wake each morning!
Once again thank you all so much for stopping by and letting me know you were here. I appreciate each and every comment left and am pretty excited to think that there are so many lovely people out there that choose to read my rambling!
In gratitude.....
Your thoughts were very much appreciated and I am sorry I didn't get to reply to any in my last post. I'm hearing you all on 'trying to embrace the cold' and I certainly agree, even if the sunny months are my preference! So, on that note, I have come to a realisation that I can do something to alleviate the feelings of dullness and gloom that threaten to over whelm me when we are all squeezed together on a cold and windy day!!
Collectively, you sowed a seed that brought forth an idea that I will be putting into practise. I really need to reclaim peace and tranquillity, so firstly some of the shelving and general clutter will be moving out into the new loft in the shed. This will mean that we need to go outside if we want to find any books, sewing things or toys but it will also mean that it is 'cleaner' inside.
And we'll be painting the inside white!! Now this is a big occasion because I am not a white person. I like colour, strong colour and bold walls. In this case I am liking white though! (the woody walls are the originals) I'm hoping that white will allow me to take clearer photo's of any indoor bits that we do over winter. I am also writing out a list of affirmations......... they'll be just above me, on the ceiling, so that they're the first thing I see when I wake each morning!
Once again thank you all so much for stopping by and letting me know you were here. I appreciate each and every comment left and am pretty excited to think that there are so many lovely people out there that choose to read my rambling!
In gratitude.....











Although your space is small and must be very challenging for you at times, it looks so homely, inviting and welcoming. I hope the changes help you to find the serenity you seem to be searching for.
ReplyDeleteI too am a summer person and used to get very down in the winter, a few years ago I decided that I couldn't change the weather but I could change how I thought about it or I could move somewhere warmer. Moving isn't really an option and it's not really something I want to do, so I got warmer clothes, I started to appreciate all the good things about winter, at first I had to look really hard to find good things. Now my mantra is there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Now I think I'm becoming and autumn girl.
Thanks for sharing your lovely home with us.
cheers Kate
Love the pics, especially of all the parties :D Can't wait to visit sooooon!
ReplyDeletexoxo
It looks like your home is full of love, which is really the most important part.
ReplyDeleteHubba and I lived in a space about the same size when we were first married... with 2 dogs and my brother sleeping on the sofa.
I think your home looks warm and inviting and filled with love but I do get where you are coming from and believe that a change will lift your spirits immensely. The love will still be there, I'm sure the love will be there and that you will be more at peace within your space. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kate! Yes, we actually moved here to this cold climate and I think it's not the cold that I don't like, it's probably just the 'cosiness' of our house! Logically I know this is doable but sometimes the winter closeness stretches before me and I wonder......!!
ReplyDeleteKathryn, this house would be perfect with two people and even a brother!! Our children feel the love so perhaps I just need to find it amongst the chaos! Thanks for your thoughts!
See you soon Bon!
Thankyou so much for letting us visit you! No matter how small a space is there is always room for love, Evi and your home and all the wonderful things you cook and make just exude love!A great place for your family to live!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your precious home with us - I wish you well with the wall painting - the white will bring some extra sunshine and brightness into your lovely happy space ...........x
ReplyDeleteI love the look of your little cottage and I'm amazed at you all fitting in so well. You are truly amazing and I will never complain that my kitchen is too small again.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kate! I've been known to have a little whine about my kitchen too.... ahem! ;o)
ReplyDeleteIt certainly lifts my spirit to hear you all tell me such lovely things about our cosy home - I'm looking at it from a different vantage point today and can almost see the positives! xx
Firstly, the party photos are joy for the soul. Now there is something to revisit on grey days.
ReplyDeleteSecondly I love your cottage and though I feel like I must be a voyeur I really like seeing "how other people live". I think it says a lot about a person (all of you) who can live in close proximity with others. It must nurture very giving and compromising people.
Thirdly, I know I would be tempted to paint it white too but I think it needs another think, I'm not sure, but I really love the warmth and cosiness of the timber walls. It's 50/50 isn't it....white walls for space and light...natural wood for comfort and warmth....big choice.
I think you are all amazing x
You, your family, and your house are just amazing! You seem to have made the small space and all the bodies within work quite well. I love the multipurpose....why not multipurpose rooms?!
ReplyDeleteWhen looking at the photos I thought to myself "I wish there was more wood at my house. It is so warm and quaint." But, there is something to be said for the brightness of white walls. They become the perfect plain backdrop for anything...which can be quite lovely for artsy, bright-color-bright people (like you and I
).
Evi you are amazing! I love your cosy home and you should be so proud that you have made it work! So many out there feel they can't possibly live without a bedroom for each child, a space for the kids to play away from the adults and somewhere fantastic to entertain! Rubbish - Look what you have done, raising a happy family in a small home without expensive props and gadgets, created a warm and lovely entertaining area and you aren't wasting the world's resources on heating a huge indulgent space and I've seen the wonderful cooking and craft that you do. One thing that also strikes me, coming from a small, (but slightly larger), home is that you obviously don't have a lot of stuff and you manage your space well. Still, there are days, when I'm not in a good mood, that I wish I could have a space of my own in my house, so I get how you must feel sometimes. I use the verandah a lot. We have a couch out there so I take a blanket and sit there when I need solitude. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOh my! You are all so amazing too! I'm feeling a bit teary after reading all your wonderful words... thank you! Yes, we are a close family and have a lot of fun together and we certainly have learnt some interesting life lessons. Tolerance would be one!
ReplyDeleteIt's a good thing that you pointed that out, Tanya and BLD, about the white paint because I have been thinking similar thoughts. I'm trying to lighten and brighten and give myself the feeling of 'expanse' but deep within white isn't me at all! I will give this a rethink and not start on any painting until I am really sure. We will be putting a window in on the north wall (which has NONE atm!) so perhaps that will come first and make all the difference. And perhaps I just need to 'decorate' a little bit....
Linda, we do have 'stuff' but most of it is in the shed! I can't even fit a lounge in here!! But yes, I have managed to fit in as much as possible in the house and every nook and cranny is used! Thanks for your sweet words.
Hi Evi,
ReplyDeleteThank you for letting us into your home via the photos. I could feel the love and warmth coming through - your lucky family.
I used to live a sandstone cottage with lots of wood, beams and windows. We painted the walls white before selling as we thought that it would make it brighter - I didn't like it as it took away from the golden hues of the timber.
Sometimes we just need to have a re-arrange of our belongings to change our outlook and take on a sense of contentment.
Thankyou for sharing your gorgeous home. It is obvious that it is filled with love. I love your idea of de-cluttering and then painting a blank canvas. The colours of your life will stand out more then and you can chose to add a feature colour or two maybe later once you have re-adjusted. Goodluck with your evolution, I'm sure it will still resonate with your family xx
ReplyDeleteWow Evi! What a wonderful home you have filled with character, love and warmth (Kids, craft and celebrations too!)! I love it! If you are having second thoughts about the white walls - then dont. Maybe hang some white or light sheets up first to give you a better idea of what it will be like. Are sky lights or light tubes something that might work for your space to lighten things up a bit? Our neighbour put one in her kitchen and it is wonderful for letting the sunshime in! I love readng your blog! - Kara
ReplyDeleteWow, this is my first visit to this blog and when I saw was that first thought this post is that you must be an amazing person to do all you do and raise all the people you do in a small space. Many people who have a larger space do not "live" as well as you do. I love the gorgeous timber. Maybe re-organise before you paint. It might make it seem brighter...? Well done. and lovely blog too :)
ReplyDeleteHi. Wow! A fellow small-footprint dweller. For the past...hmm.. almost 4 years now, myself, husband and two children have lived in a 9x5m house with a loft space. I sleep under a sloping roof too! Love your idea of putting the list of affirmations there to be greeted with each morning.
ReplyDeleteYou're the first other blogger I've come across who has a small-footprint house so I'm a bit amazed and excited.
I've only just started blogging after thinking about it for a long, long time and I'm currently hunting through my photo archives getting ready to post a few pics of our house. If you're interested come take a look in a week or so.
Yay for small houses!