let us eat

Monday, April 30, 2012

a sunday in autumn





We spent the weekend, well ok just Sunday, enjoying the sunshine that so kindly beamed down to us! The vegetable garden had been left to it's own devices for a few weeks and although it looked extremely lush in it's greenness, the weeds had to go. I wanted a quick compost heap to put the frosted bean and zucchini plants in, as well as the succulent weeds, so enlisted the help of my youngest Man Cub. He whipped up a great temporary star picket and baling twine set up. Next spring I'll just pull it all out and spread the compost over the garden bed....I hope! 

We picked a large bowl of tomatoes too. We have had a few frosts but the plastic cover kept it from killing the tomatoes - that had barely started fruiting, mind you! I really haven't got the hang of planting in this cold climate yet but instead of trying harder, I'm going to cheat and build a poly tunnel!! At least it will look a lot better than this small, messy and very temporary structure. Seems like we have quite a few make-do type things around here, which is true. But I do like to use what we have on hand - and they mostly do the job..........for a while at least!!  




There was time for some bike riding on another invention that my boy dreamed up - a modern penny farthing perhaps? Last year he built some other strange type of bike  - we have a pile of bikes and parts here that have mostly come from the tip but what a lot of fun and learning they have provided.

I re-made? re-fed? what do you call it when you decant the kombucha? We love the stuff and I make about 5 litres at a time. Does anyone have any ideas what to do with the discarded scobies? I throw them into the chook bucket but surely there must be something useful to do with them!

And of course after the weeding, a hot chocolate and rhubarb cake in the fading sunlight is just perfect for a job well done!

I hope to be doing some sort of crafting in the next week or so. This blog had been missing some creativity and so have I. Have a great week, friends!! 

3 comments:

  1. A great time of year don't you think especially when the sun comes out! Love the sound of the rhubarb cake and hot chocolate. Wonderful cool weather food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK what is kombucha and what is a scobie and why would you discard it? I love the words, I just said them to my half asleep child and she just laughed.

    With All That I Am
    Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your son and my son would get on just fine! JB is always dreaming up inventions and he had a bike like this at one stage too! Don't you love that our kids are free to express themselves and invent whatever they like in the wonderful space we have created!

    ReplyDelete

Oh yes please, do leave a comment! I will admit I don't always answer, although I do mean to, but I always read them and love to hear what you say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...