let us eat

Monday, September 12, 2011

Sustainable houses







We tootled along to a few of the homes that were open for Sustainable House Day on Sunday. 
Through Deloraine, where we came across a hall dedicated to Odd Fellows; and beside it, a home straight out of Hansel and Gretel - how I would love to live there; then on the other side of town, the old Bowerbank Mill with it's monstrously high chimney. It's for sale and I dream..... 
Then at Westbury there's the derelict shed, built by or for Mr Lyall; and an unusually cute chook house on stilts in the garden of an open home we visited. 

The sustainable homes are very ingenious and well built with all the features for warmth and power saving that anyone could ask for, but still my heart yearns to live in an old, old brick home with character and history and the patina of age in every room....... and the essence of lives lived long ago. 
That would be a dream come true........

10 comments:

  1. beautiful. i KNEW this was tassie, first shot. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to a Sustainable house day too just nearby where we live. The house we looked at was a straw bale house, the first time I have been inside one. It was very interesting...

    Love the look of the old buildings you saw in your travels...

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting, the history of the homes amazes me. we don't have any brick homes here, but the old wooden farm homes set my heart dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love old old houses and am torn between them and something more sustainable and wonder if you can't have both with a little retrofitting here and there. The house we spent the day at on Sunday was a retroffitted newish house and the owner talked about the renos. he still plans to do and a lot of them include features that were standard in these old houses like vents in the eaves and near the ceilings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. angelina -you really ought to pop down here to have a look at these old homes!

    Tania - we went to a straw bale home too and yes, that would be my second choice of home.... I love the thickness of the walls and hence the window ledges!

    Lori ann - we have more weatherboard homes here too but it's the brick or stone ones that really make my heart sing!

    Kate - if I had truckloads of cash I would buy an old old home and set about making it as snug and energy saving as I could ....but I must go with what I have!! We are extending our tiny cottage soon and I must make decisions between old wooden windows or newer pricey ones - oh the dilemma!!

    Thanks for all your lovely thoughts, mama's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Let's SHARE the gingerbread house. From what you've told me, even with two families sharing, we'd have more room than we have now. It's huge but still quaint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK LInda, we can share but only if I can have one of those cute upstairs rooms? Oh the joy! And I bet we'd still rattle around in such a big home even with both our families....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your ramblings Evi, almost as good as sharing a cup of dandelion with you while you teach me how to......... :-) And for all the times we dont get to share a cuppa, at least I can follow where you're at by looking here! I love just having a little peek to see wat exciting thing youve shared, thankyou!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wHat!!! My future as a proof reader is scarred!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sal, though I really need those cuppas and a long chat sometimes..... I am really really enjoying meeting all the lovely mamas in this cyber world but there's definitely a place for 'real life' chats too'!!

    ReplyDelete

Oh yes please, do leave a comment! I will admit I don't always answer, although I do mean to, but I always read them and love to hear what you say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...