Its been one year since my Austrian holiday - one year! - and I have been having a nostalgic browse through my photo albums these last few days.
I had an awesome six weeks.......
I loved spending that time with my dear mum, who I dont see often enough;
I really enjoyed catching up with my many relatives and friends;
I am so grateful to whoever invented the digital camera - without it I wouldn't have half as many great photos to drool over now!
I had really wanted to post these images last year, but well..... time moved on and it never happened. So now here they are - skulls. Lots of skulls! I was amazed at the amount of skulls and skeletons in the churches and adjoining cemeteries.
I'm not sure of the significance - perhaps they are depicting death and decay or maybe eternal life. All the churches were old, Catholic ones that we visited in Salzburg and I think damnation and hell played a large part in the life of earlier Catholics.
The one above was on the outside wall of the church and I think it must have been a remembrance plaque for the man named on the stone. It almost looks as if there are two arms holding the two skulls like some sort of grisly trophy.
This fellow above has the look of someone who fell asleep and just slowly decayed on the spot...... if I give him a push he might just fall over and crumble!
Obviously a well connected gentleman and quite old by the look of his armour. Once again he is watched by a skull.
This one may have held holy water in the brain cavity? Just a thought, as I cant remember where in the church it was situated but I do wonder if it ever had that other tooth! And if so, was it a real one that was stuck into a hole?? Looks real!!
I really don't know but I was fascinated with them and couldn't help wondering how I'd feel coming to church on Sunday and seating myself next to this cold stone skull that was at the end of a pew!!
Oh oh oh, I have wander lust again.......!!!!
Es ist jetzt grad ein Jahr seit ich in Osterreich auf urlaub war und das Jahr ist so schnell vorbei. Gott sei dank hab ich viele Foto und diese hier hab ich schon wollen lange zeigen.
Wir waren etliche tage in Salzburg und dort haben wir mehrere tage die schönen alten Kirchen besucht. Die vielen Totenköpfe hab ich natürlich müssen fotografieren!






No comments:
Post a Comment
Oh yes please, do leave a comment! I will admit I don't always answer, although I do mean to, but I always read them and love to hear what you say!