let us eat

Thursday, July 4, 2013

look what i can do!!

My dear mama taught me to knit many years ago, but it was too slow for me, this going to and fro in minute increments...... with barely a change in size to show for all that needle clacking.  
I knitted a couple of vests - one of which I still wear - and that was that. 
I had some babies, sewed lots of clothes and quilts, learnt smocking, embroidery, crochet and cooking. 
Wool was for finger knitting at the Steiner kindergarten or for hanging up shell and driftwood mobiles, right?? 


When I discovered this bloggy world, I read how so many lovely women were knitting up a storm and I was intrigued. 
Jackets, beanies, socks, casting on, cable and icord; lots of gorgeous hand knits and baby knits and home decorating knits; luscious alpaca, fluffy angora and silk blends; terms that slowly, slowly made sense and gave me a gentle nudge to perhaps give two sticks and a bit of string another try.


And then I had a granddaughter. Stuy and the children suggested that I had better start knitting now that I was a granny. In fact its a bit of a joke for them now, ribbing me about Granny.com!! 


So I did have a try..... and it must be like riding a bike, because although I was slow and couldn't read a pattern, I could still knit!! Yep, it just came back or was there but hidden, all along. 
I knit in the continental style, so spent quite a while searching for how to's and videos that would tell me what ssl and yoh meant! 
First a tiny vest, then a beanie or two, and now another vest (Pickles Plain vest) with button holes!! There's no stopping me now! 


The little one was ho hum, her mama was suitably impressed, and I am ecstatic!! 
I can knit!!!! 
I am a knitter!!!!
How exciting is that?? 


Meine mama hatt mir stricken gelernt wenn ich ganz jung war aber außer zwei Vesten, hab ich nie mehr was gestrickt.
Und dann bin ich Großmutter geworden.
Großmütter tun ja stricken, nit? So hab ich müssen schnell wieder lernen wie es geht. Und jetzt hab Ichs geschafft - hier ist eine Veste fix fertig und auf die süsse Lola.
Jetzt kann ich mich selbst auch Strickerin nennen!!    

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Being new to knitting myself, I totally get where you are coming from! That is just a gorgeous little vest and YOU are very clever! Sadly I've hardly knitted this winter. I just don't seem to get time. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly no stopping you now. Well done the vest is gorgeous as is the little one wearing it. My how she's grown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute indeed. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Oh yes please, do leave a comment! I will admit I don't always answer, although I do mean to, but I always read them and love to hear what you say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...