let us eat

Friday, November 25, 2011

On my mind....weeds!

While we were on our 5 week jaunt to mainland Australia this last month, a combination of warm weather and rain back at home caused a massive explosion of growth in the garden. I'd planted potatoes and peas, radishes and rhubarb, and various other goodies which I can't remember right now.
Naturally, everything has burst from the ground in a blur of prolific growth and the new garden is a plot of verdant green. Of course, one must take the good with the not so good - all those busy little plants that we like to call weeds, have germinated with abandon too, and oh my, they are certainly contributing to the lush green look of fence to fence outdoor carpet! 


As you see, we have already weeded two beds and one pathway between - which is piled with pulled weeds - and have quite a bit to go. I've been spending as much time as I can out there amongst the lush, sappy weeds and I'm making up excuses to be out there!! 

Inner voice 1 - "Ok, what do I need to do now....aaahh yes, it's 4.49pm, time to start preparing dinner"

Inner voice 2 - "Oh, but you want to plant more seedlings in the garden and the garden needs weeding really badly." 

Inner voice 1 - "Well..... I really need to feed the kids....... maybe they could wait........" 

Inner voice 2 - "It's so peaceful out there at this time of day - and the weeds smell so fresh and good as they are pulled......" 

Inner voice 1 (with very little guilt) - All right, just for a little while...... "  

This inner conversation has been going on every day since we got home last Sunday, Voice 2 inevitably wins and I always get carried away and stay out too long! Those 'weeds' are really truly a high priority on my mind - but I'm finding them so relaxing!! 

Thanks to Rhonda at Down to Earth for the chance to share my thoughts on a Friday again! 

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, they are my inner thoughts too. Which is why the house is a mess but the garden is tidier . I sometimes wish we could go and live out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Evi. I reckon you'll have those weeds out quick smart. Good luck with your crops and enjoy all those gardening hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone should tell inner voice one that the kids are capable of organising a can of baked beans or similar! Have fun in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its nice to see you back Evi, so sorry that you all took ill on your holidays, hope you're all feeling better!

    Have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh yes please, do leave a comment! I will admit I don't always answer, although I do mean to, but I always read them and love to hear what you say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...