let us eat

Saturday, April 11, 2015

easter part 2 - intrepid adventure













Once upon a time (when all our children were younger, still living at home and less opinionated) we often spent a day in the bush just for fun. We'd pack up whatever good food or leftovers we had hanging around, throw in some blankets, eating utensils and the pram if there was a baby, and head off in our old Landrover down a dirt track to find a nice spot to picnic. Usually it involved a river, a campfire and a bit of walking. Sometimes it was winter and cold and we'd need the fire to warm up and stop everyone me from whining about the chilly day. Sometimes it was summer and whatever water source was available was used to cool off and provided much entertainment for the littles. Occasionally I had time to do a quick sketch for my nature journal, to be finished off at home the next day, although most of the time was spent feeding children, making sure they didn't drown or worrying about the possibility of snakes!

These days, its different. Most of our children are grown and are very opinionated (we did let them 'express themselves' when they were younger, so I suppose its to be expected…sigh) so going on family outings is fraught with much more than just snake dilemmas! Now there has to be a family parliamentary session and after much debating and discussion, laughter and loud words, we finally agree on a destination. Those older women who warned me to enjoy them while they were little, since it got harder when they got older, were most certainly right!!!!

So after Easter breakfast this year, ten of us departed (mercifully, without too long a discussion) for a jaunt into the foothills of the highlands. Destination - Devils Gullet. I'm always the one that is the keenest to stay home but I'm also always the one that is so enraptured and awed by wherever we end up….. as usual this was the case! After a brief walk through some lovely high country bush, we came to the very high lookout. Sadly for the rest of the family and thankfully for me, it was misty so we couldn't see really well to the bottom but from what I did see, it looked spectacular - a loooonnng way down! Apparently, if its windy, you can throw a small rock into the abyss and the wind will send it hurtling back up to you. Amazing. We are so fortunate to be living just a short distance from some beautiful World Heritage areas.

While the others waited for the mist to clear, which it did, I amused myself taking photos of all sorts of rocks and shrubs. My children may be older and more opinionated but the upside is that they are able to step over snakes, swim out of the river and refrain from falling in a campfire, leaving me to be inspired and invigorated in the great outdoors!!!


1 comment:

  1. Hehe, great post Ev. I'm glad the masses cooperated for your outing. It looks like a beautiful spot.

    ReplyDelete

Oh yes please, do leave a comment! I will admit I don't always answer, although I do mean to, but I always read them and love to hear what you say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...