let us eat

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

two easy summer recipes

Last summer we had a huge amount of food coming out of the poly tunnel - aubergines, tomatoes, basil and capsicums as well as potatoes, onions and garlic in the garden. Stuy was away in India for the first three months of the year and although the veggie garden was prolific, my time wasn't! I had to take on more of the business side of things, do most of the gardening by myself as well as schooling the children and running our home.

It was busy!!!  Something had to give! 

Then as I trawled around some blogs late one night (isn't that what you do when you are tired and overworked and just need some 'me' time?) I discovered one that was dedicated to Greek vegetarian food. Lots of Mediterranean veggies, herbs and olive oil - just what was needed.


And I came across Greek Briam. Oh it's good. Very good. So good that it became one of the staple summer dishes that got me through that busy time. Easy, tasty and healthy.
Lisa, who writes the Greek Vegetarian blog, has some fantastic recipes there, all with beautiful photography and sweet snippets of Greece. 

I won't rewrite the recipe for you because I haven't changed it except to make double or more, so go and have a look for yourself and do try it! We mostly had it with a very quick focaccia style bread, which I will share here…. but please bear in mind that this recipe is - as usual - just a rough one! 

Easy Focaccia

In a large mixing bowl place 2 cups of blood temperature water. 
Stir in a spoonful of sugar or honey. 
Sprinkle about 2 heaped tablespoons of yeast granules over the water/honey mix.
Drizzle a good slurp of olive oil over the yeast.
Stir together gently.
Cover with tea towel and leave in a warm place for at least 15 minutes.

When it looks frothy, start adding flour. I use plain spelt or plain organic white flour with a bit of wholemeal. 
You will want to add some salt at this point too.
Keep mixing in flour until the dough is fairly stiff and workable.

Oil the trays. 
Divide dough and press onto tray (about 1cm thick) 
Prick all over with a fork.
Sprinkle with coarse celtic salt, fresh rosemary sprigs and dried mixed herbs.
Drizzle olive oil over the lot. 

Bake at 180 degrees for about 1/2 hour or until done. 


And there you have it! An easy summer meal. We had some local feta to crumble over the top and it really does need some source of protein. Perhaps hard boiled eggs would go too. And a crisp, green garden salad.

I really hope you give this a try. I've had these photos lined up since last years Briam meals and now that its summer again and I'm almost ready with the right vegetables, I thought I'd share.

Do you think you would make this?
Do you like oily, rich dishes?
I do!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Evi. Just ducked over to the Greek Vegie blog and the recipe looks nice and simple. I have all the ingredients and Will get onto it straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I think you'll love it!! Let me know how you go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this, both the bread and veges look delicious. Do you knead the bread or leave it to rise? It sounds very simple, I love that :-) Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this, both the bread and veges look delicious. Do you knead the bread or leave it to rise? It sounds very simple, I love that :-) Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Catherine! I dont knead the dough at all. It gets a good working out when you add the flour and then I just put it on the tray and add the yummy top bits. You can leave it for 15 mins or more if you like and it will rise which is what happens when I make it for a pizza base. I'm mostly running behind when we make pizza, so while we chop mushrooms and grate cheese the dough just sits and rises!!
    And it does make a great quick pizza base!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link Evi. I've made it twice now! Just the thing to make for a quick, satisfying dinner of a summer evening, and while it's cooking I can be out watering the garden in the late afternoon cool. I actually sprinkled crumbled feta on top about halfway through the cooking, after I mashed it down, and the creamy salty browned feta was wonderful with all those mixed veges. Haven't tried the foccacia yet, but it sounds so easy and good. Thanks for sharing! Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you tried it and liked it, Fiona!! Yes, I'm the same….I put it in the oven and head back outside in the cool to do some digging or weeding.
    Looking forward to hearing if the focaccia is liked too!

    ReplyDelete

Oh yes please, do leave a comment! I will admit I don't always answer, although I do mean to, but I always read them and love to hear what you say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...