You may have been wondering what has happened to my man? Well, he's having a wonderful time taking in the sights and sounds of mystical India but..... he has managed to send me a few photos and a bit of commentary every now and again!! With his permission I'm sharing them here along with his words.
18 Jan 2013
Hi Evi
Andrew and me had a blast of a night in Allahabad yesterday. Some awesome shops. Shops are open here from 10am to 10pm, 6 days per week, and lots stay open on Sundays as well, because they want to make more money. Im used to walking the streets now, and don't feel self conscious anymore, although everybody still stares and lots come and ask to have a look at my tattoos.
The people here are incredibly friendly, and we've had the most amazing offers of help from all kinds of strangers. This place just has an awesome vibe to it Evi, its fast and fun, you'd love it I'm sure, once you get over the filth and grime, beggars and merchants, extreme poverty etc. once you can see past that, you start to become part of a different culture, and you start to blend with It.
Im wandering around all the time by myself now, and know a lot of the local shop keepers, and I'm learning a lot about these fascinating people, there lives and how they live and survive. There's no dole here, and the people here are just real goers, and incredibly resourceful. We in OZ have a lot to learn about life. I'm really enjoying meeting as many people as I can. Some are just so so, but you come across some real great ones. Life's busy for these people, but they always stop what there doing and have time for you. And sometimes that may mean an hour.
The people here are incredibly friendly, and we've had the most amazing offers of help from all kinds of strangers. This place just has an awesome vibe to it Evi, its fast and fun, you'd love it I'm sure, once you get over the filth and grime, beggars and merchants, extreme poverty etc. once you can see past that, you start to become part of a different culture, and you start to blend with It.
Im wandering around all the time by myself now, and know a lot of the local shop keepers, and I'm learning a lot about these fascinating people, there lives and how they live and survive. There's no dole here, and the people here are just real goers, and incredibly resourceful. We in OZ have a lot to learn about life. I'm really enjoying meeting as many people as I can. Some are just so so, but you come across some real great ones. Life's busy for these people, but they always stop what there doing and have time for you. And sometimes that may mean an hour.
25 Jan 2013
Hi All
We loaded our boat onto a trailer today and towed it down to the Sangam. We made it through all the security checks except the last one, so we couldn't launch our boat today, pity. Indian beaurocracy.
Anyway, it was the most awesome fun, thousands of people turned out to see us. Lots of media coverage, and a live to air interview, after we were told we couldn't launch our boat without certain permissions. We were also told that we could launch our boat if we paid certain people a certain amount of rupees. This was bullshit, so we're sticking to the proper channels.
I've sent some photos and I video Hope you all enjoy Them. These Indian people are just so unreal. Friendly and helpful. I'm glad I decided to become involved in this project. It's certainly been a learning curve, and very worthwhile. Enjoy.
We loaded our boat onto a trailer today and towed it down to the Sangam. We made it through all the security checks except the last one, so we couldn't launch our boat today, pity. Indian beaurocracy.
Anyway, it was the most awesome fun, thousands of people turned out to see us. Lots of media coverage, and a live to air interview, after we were told we couldn't launch our boat without certain permissions. We were also told that we could launch our boat if we paid certain people a certain amount of rupees. This was bullshit, so we're sticking to the proper channels.
I've sent some photos and I video Hope you all enjoy Them. These Indian people are just so unreal. Friendly and helpful. I'm glad I decided to become involved in this project. It's certainly been a learning curve, and very worthwhile. Enjoy.
26. Jan 2013
Hi everyone
Thought I'd send you all a few photos of our trendy little flat. Just remember that this is top end Indian living. Lots of doctors etc live in this street.
It's funny because the houses in this part of town are rather nice, but the street is just like any other street. Heaps of filth and dirt, piles of rubbish and crap everywhere, peasants walking up and down. There's still heaps of stray dogs and cows walking everywhere, but none of those festy, disgusting pigs that wander around in groups, sifting through the mounds of rotting rubbish, and wallowing in the open drains that line all streets, that are filled with the most horrifying substances as well as mouldy old drainage water and sewerage. So who wouldn't live in this part of town !!!
I've included our little grass patch. You might not think its anything special. But it's very special to me. The reason being, its the only bit of grass I've seen for a long long time. I love lying on it, sitting on it, feeling it. We take alot of things for granted in Australia. Things like grass, peace and quiet, services, hot water, a working toilet, clean drinking water, shops that you can trust to buy food from, water that you can trust to wash your hair under( you don't want to get a drop in your mouth just in case), and of course some nice fresh air to breath. The air here has a funny smell. I can't describe it really, but some days it just stinks.
I suppose today I'm just missing a few home comforts I suppose. Andrew and me feel like crap today and have the shits. We ate quite a bit of street food yesterday, and probably ate something we shouldn't have, but it's nothing drastic, just a short term tummy bug ???
Just had some good news. Andrew has had confirmation that we have permission to launch our boat at the Sangam today at about 5pm local, so I'll try to get down there. I don't want to miss it. There should be alot of media there too. This trip has just been an adventure, and I wouldn't swap it, even though I feel like crap.
Buy the way, this place is costing us 300 AUD to rent per month.
Thought I'd send you all a few photos of our trendy little flat. Just remember that this is top end Indian living. Lots of doctors etc live in this street.
It's funny because the houses in this part of town are rather nice, but the street is just like any other street. Heaps of filth and dirt, piles of rubbish and crap everywhere, peasants walking up and down. There's still heaps of stray dogs and cows walking everywhere, but none of those festy, disgusting pigs that wander around in groups, sifting through the mounds of rotting rubbish, and wallowing in the open drains that line all streets, that are filled with the most horrifying substances as well as mouldy old drainage water and sewerage. So who wouldn't live in this part of town !!!
I've included our little grass patch. You might not think its anything special. But it's very special to me. The reason being, its the only bit of grass I've seen for a long long time. I love lying on it, sitting on it, feeling it. We take alot of things for granted in Australia. Things like grass, peace and quiet, services, hot water, a working toilet, clean drinking water, shops that you can trust to buy food from, water that you can trust to wash your hair under( you don't want to get a drop in your mouth just in case), and of course some nice fresh air to breath. The air here has a funny smell. I can't describe it really, but some days it just stinks.
I suppose today I'm just missing a few home comforts I suppose. Andrew and me feel like crap today and have the shits. We ate quite a bit of street food yesterday, and probably ate something we shouldn't have, but it's nothing drastic, just a short term tummy bug ???
Just had some good news. Andrew has had confirmation that we have permission to launch our boat at the Sangam today at about 5pm local, so I'll try to get down there. I don't want to miss it. There should be alot of media there too. This trip has just been an adventure, and I wouldn't swap it, even though I feel like crap.
Buy the way, this place is costing us 300 AUD to rent per month.
So here is just a little bit of his adventure for you to share.
Do stop by and have a look at Andrews blog where there are lots more pics and a few videos with really cool music!!
And hello to the new friends that have chosen to 'follow' this blog.... enjoy!!
Do stop by and have a look at Andrews blog where there are lots more pics and a few videos with really cool music!!
And hello to the new friends that have chosen to 'follow' this blog.... enjoy!!





Just amazing. They say that you don't come away from india, the same person as when you first went over. my daughter is also over there and I am receiving emails from her that show that she is seeing some pretty life changing things.
ReplyDeleteThanks Evi, I really enjoyed that.
ReplyDeleteSame as above...loved seeing and reading this
ReplyDeleteI think I'll read this to Belle. We are so lucky and this post reinforces that fact. I hope his tummy doesn't bother him for too long.
ReplyDeletewow, so cool, thank you so much for sharing evi. developing countries = tummy bugs often, i do hope they get over it soon and get their boat in the water!
ReplyDelete