let us eat

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

necessity.....

....is the mother of invention. 
I love that saying.

Last week, or was it the week before? we decided we needed a sign for the front of our tent when we went to the Pioneer Fair. Of course, I only started it the day before, and didn't quite get it finished, but it will get done eventually and it did look quite snazzy! 


First up, I headed off to our local op shop with an idea. Lucky for me, my idea was sitting there in a box of curtains - the perfect length, colour and weight with the added bonus of super size eyelets! 
There were two of these acrylic backed curtains and from each of them I cut a strip the width I wanted with enough extra for a hem. The strips were sewn together to make the length needed and then hemmed. 


I wanted to print a nice font onto A4 paper but couldn't find one I loved and then to top it all off, couldn't get it big enough on the paper....aargh! So I did what I would have done years ago, before I was seduced into thinking that computers could do it all - I drew them up freehand! 


With a bit of help from my lovely daughter, the letters were carefully painted with acrylic paints, most of which I had. We ran out of daylight and I haven't got quite enough painting skills to attempt our mascot the Tassie Tiger, so he had to be postponed. I'm hoping to ask a sweet friend for a favour ;o)
   

Here it is, doing it's job! I was quite pleased with the finished sign although it seems to be hanging in the middle a little bit due to softening in the sun.

  I had a need and invented a solution! Can you tell I'm chuffed?

*PS - Some of you asked me some questions regarding Mathews dolls and if you are interested in purchasing one please send me an email and I'll pass it on. Mathew sometimes has a stand at the Evandale markets, he has a few of them in a craft shop in Deloraine and also in a local cafe here in Sheffield.

Aleta - we sell wood heaters which my man manufactures here at home. And Mathew has a few tarps that he covers his items with. It mostly doesn't rain in buckets here, just a steady drizzle, not huge downpours like up your way!

Allana, the fair was at Westbury.

Lori - there was a woman spinning but I was so taken with the fancy knitted shawls on display that I forgot to take her pic!

Starr - looking forward to meeting you, here in Tas!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh you are clever. It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evi, it looks wonderful! The tiger's a great idea but it looks fine without it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh! i would be chuffed too! brilliant. i love best how it didn't involve any tricky computering.
    thank you for answering evi, and such beautiful photos of your girls (wee one too!) and your garden. have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - I must pay more attention to the paper, and your blog Evi!
    LOVE your sign, what a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh yes please, do leave a comment! I will admit I don't always answer, although I do mean to, but I always read them and love to hear what you say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...