let us eat

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Salzburg churches

We are still here in Salzburg and still enjoying the many sights. Tuesday was a bus tour around the city. There are forty churches in Salzburg - one Anglican and thirty nine Catholic!
We only managed to wander around three of them but were amazed, moved and inspired by their magnificence.
What works of art.
Such monuments of faith.
I took loads of photos because every where I turned there was more magnificence to document with my camera. I realize I will no doubt rarely look at my photos in years to come but still I felt the need to tuck just a little bit of this beautiful place into my camera to take home with me!

This picture below shows a fairly plain church.....especially when compared with the church above.
We inquired and were told that it had been bombed in WWII and rebuilt when there wasn't much money around to spend on it. It was still a beautiful church in its simplicity though and I spent a moment in quiet reflection after lighting a candle in a small chapel on one side.

Apologies for the picture heavy content and the lack of explanation. We walk and walk all day in an effort to see as much as we can........ we are realizing that it's not possible to see it all! And in the evening there is a lot of good food to be tasted and beer to be tried! Then after all that, I'm pretty pooped and the brain doesn't want to work too hard!

Ah, the life of a tourist..... it takes a bit of getting used to!!!

Thanks for stopping by. I will endeavor to post interesting trivia here, but I feel it's going to be heavy on the architecture to the detriment of other bits!!

 

5 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos of a wonderful city. You are so lucky to have this heritage and to be able to soak it all in. Don't worry about the photo overload, I'm sure it will be enjoyed by all. cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, divine! Such beautiful pictures, how lucky are you to be wandering through these old buildings? Keep them coming, no lengthy explanations needed! Have fun out there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Christine, keep those pictures coming Evie, they are fabulous!! Quick explanations are just fine! Have fun! - Kara xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, will do! Thanks for the notes of encouragement!
    I will no doubt find some words from time to time...... larger amounts, I mean!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. completely facinating! i agree, it's a gift just to look. i'm amazed that you can even post while travling. i've not been able to do that yet!

    ReplyDelete

Oh yes please, do leave a comment! I will admit I don't always answer, although I do mean to, but I always read them and love to hear what you say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...